Page Under Construction...
OLD PLUM CEMETERY
Second Baptist is in charge of taking care of the Old Plum Grove Cemetery in West Point. This cemetery is rich in history, having been officially established in 1839. It was established by John Y. Criswell, Sr. as the Criswell Family Cemetery upon the burial of his wife, Eleanor. W. A. Criswell, the long-time pastor of First Baptist Church of Dallas, is a descendant of this family.
The Hopewell Baptist Church, later called Plum Grove Baptist Church, was adjacent to the cemetery. It is believed that the original log church building was dismantled about 1851 when a new, larger church building was constructed with board and batten siding. After being used for a barn in the early 1900's, the building was finally dismantled in 1959.
Volunteers from our church regularly care for the cemetery grounds. We also have plots available for any who would like to be buried there. In addition to the original 2 acres, we have purchased an additional 2 acres for future burials. You may contact the church office for further information.